I help people with...
Marriage and Couple Counselling
Gold Coast Relationship Counselling Southport
Being in an intimate satisfying relationship is something that most people want. Challenges to a relationship can occur at any stage of the relationship and most couples will face issues and challenges at some point in their relationship.
There is nothing wrong with you if you are having problems its normal. However, if the problems in your relationship are persistent and/or affecting your quality of life, I would recommend that you seek counselling. Some of the more common problems include:
- Communication difficulties – not feeling understood or known by your partner, avoiding issues
- Sexual dissatisfaction and lack of romance
- Power struggles – one or both partners do not compromises or accept influence
- Lack of intimacy and emotional distance
- Betrayal and trust issues – Affairs (either sexual, porn, or emotional) and other addictions
- Conflict and constant fighting with little or no resolution or repair
- The same conflict issues coming up weekly, monthly and yearly
- Outside Influences – Work, In laws, or Family
- Grief and Loss
What can you expect in couples counselling?
When you come to couples counselling or couples therapy you can expect to be able to share your relational difficulties in a respectful, caring and non-judgemental environment.
You and your partner will have the opportunity to resolve your issues in a safe environment and in this setting; you are both able to gain deeper levels of insight into your relationship dynamics as well as to allow mutual understanding within the relationship.
After the first session I will invite you to complete The Gottman Relationship Checkup questionnaire from the Gottman Institute that will give me and you a clear picture of the challenges that you are facing. You can feel confident in your results of The Gottman Relationship Checkup. Drs. John and Julie Gottman created this research-based assessment in collaboration with The Gottman Institute to help couples build a personalized treatment plan with their therapist. Dr. John Gottman is a clinical psychologist who has completed more than 40 years of research on couple relationships, and is recognized as one of the top 10 most influential therapists of the last quarter century. Dr. Julie Gottman is a highly respected clinical psychologist who is sought internationally by the media and clinical organizations as an expert advisor on relationships. Together, they have dedicated their lives to helping couples, and The Gottman Relationship Checkup is the result of this life work.
I am empathetic to both partners and I also avoid taking sides. Positive changes can be seen after about 4 sessions, but this will vary from couple to couple depending on the nature and complexities in the relationship. The length of the therapy is also dependent on you and your partner, I recommend at least 8-12 sessions. The approach I use, is based on the research of John Gottman and his colleagues, and it supported by extensive research that has been proven to be effective.
Some of the key learnings and tools you will learn include:
- how to introduce a topic of disagreement with softened startup,
- understanding the difference between solvable and perpetual problems and how to address them differently to achieve and maintain a positive relationship, and
- recognizing what hostile communication looks like and the solutions to reverse that and make your conflicts respectful and full of understanding,
- improving closeness and intimacy using fondness and admiration,
- how to listen to and understand your partner so that your partner believes that “you get me”, and
- practical strategies to improve your friendship and fun
What if my partner refuses to come with me?
I recommend that if possible, both you and your partner come to therapy. However, if one party does not wish to come for therapy, I still recommend that you come for individual counselling for your relationship difficulties.
There is the chance that over time, your partner will notice the positive changes in yourself and this might encourage him/her to come to sessions with you in the future. If anything, working on yourself within the context of your relationship is going to have a positive effect on your relationship, as well as your own personal well-being.
Don’t delay any further – Improving your relationship is possible.
Having relationship difficulties can be a real source of stress and affect your quality of life. I understand how tough it can be trying to handle these issues alone.
It’s good to talk.
I have been a leading provider of professional counselling services for individuals, couples organisations and groups on the Gold Coast for over 20 years. I am fully qualified and registered with the Psychology Board of Australia. I have completed Level 3 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy and I apply that method in in couples counselling. Rest assured that you a in the care of very experienced and profession psychologist.
Booking an appointment is easy.
Appointments are available weekdays 9am to 8pm & Saturdays 8am to 10am. I am registered to offer Medicare and private health insurance rebates.
You can improve your life.
Make the phone call today to book a counselling appointment to improve your life and move towards the life you know that you deserve. Call David now on 07 5527 6006.