I help people with...
David has a keen interest in sports psychology. He has worked with national track and field runners, professional and amateur golfers, surfers, cricketers, basketball players, and soccer players to name a few.
Currently he is the Consultant Psychologist to Adam Scott’s (the current US Masters Champion) old school: The Kooralbyn International School in the Golf Excellence Program.
Do you want the edge over your competitors?
Performance in sport is proven to be enhanced with training in mental skills and sports psychology coaching. If you want to reach the elite level in your sport or just want to win the Club Championships then sports psychology coaching will give you the edge plus more enjoyment.
“At the recent World Scientific Congress of Golf in St. Andrews, a poll revealed that although elite players believe that mental skills are 50%to 80% of the game, the majority say they spend less than 10% of their practice time on them” Jaime Diaz, Golf Digest.
If you want to get the edge then spending more time using proven techniques and strategies will be a point of difference that you will have and your competitors may not have.
- Are you achieving the results that are moving you towards your goals and dreams?
- Do you possess the mental toughness to grind it out under pressure?
- How can you – if you don’t know exactly what it takes to be achieve mental toughness?
Any sports psychologist would agree that a lack of mental toughness affects us all to some extent and is behind lack of achievement in elite golf. Once you have the basis of technical effectiveness then it is only mental toughness that limits what you can do.
Mental toughness includes the sum of the following: your ability to manage stress and anxiety, clear understanding of how golf as your job fits with your personal values and vision for your life, clear vision and goals and knowing the reasons why you are striving to achieve them, commitment and daily action and practices towards goals and vision, and finally an unshakable positive self belief in yourself.
Greg Norman said prior to an Australian Tournament in 2003, “Everyone who is playing here has the ability to win, but the person who believes it the most will win on Sunday.”
That sums up the attitude of mental toughness. The sum total of all the facets of the my approach are the building blocks of mental toughness and they all point to that unshakable self belief that Greg Norman was alluding to above.
PGA Champion Dave Stockton:
“In 1993, my second year on the Senior PGA Tour, I won five tournaments and $1,175,944, was leading money-winner, and was named Player of the Year. Yes, I made some physical improvements in my game but the main reason I had a year for me that was unbelievable is that I worked hard on the mental side of my game.”
When will you have the mental certainty that comes from positive self belief and mental toughness?
When you know what to do to achieve mental toughness and remove the mental hurdles to your success you will unlock your potential to achieve the results you deserve.
Areas of the mental game of golf that I have had success in helping both professionals and amateurs with include the following.
- Goal Setting: short term (planning) and long term goal setting
- Vision setting: developing and maintaining a compelling vision
- Mental preparation: Scheduling, time management, prioritising and balancing your life
- Visualisation as part of the pre-shot routine
- Accessing Zone states
- Removing belief barriers and fears that are blocking achievement of goals
- Increasing Positive self-belief
- Removing the negative thoughts and emotional blocks associated with past performance failures (as judged by you)
- Eliminating the anxiety, nerves and fears associated with particular clubs
- Removing the stress, anger and frustration arising from personal conflicts with other competitors, mentors and family life
- Managing anxieties and fears around injuries
- Changing “Comfort Zone” – I.e. from current belief about scoring to a better scoring self-belief
The above successes have been quickly and easily achieved and have been permanent and you can do the same too
“Great golfers are simply ordinary people thinking well and doing extraordinary deeds.” Dr. Bob Rotella, Sports Psychologist and Author.
It’s good to talk.
I have been a leading provider of professional counselling services and mental skills training for individuals and groups in Southport on the Gold Coast for over 20 years. I am fully qualified and registered with the Psychology Board of Australia. Rest assured that you a in the care of very experienced and profession psychologist.
Booking an appointment is easy.
Appointments are available weekdays 9am to 8pm & Saturdays 8am to 11am. I am registered to offer Medicare and private health insurance rebates.
You can improve your life.
Make the phone call today to book a coaching appointment to improve your life and move towards the life you know that you deserve. Call David now on 07 5527 6006.